Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Too Loose Lautrec

In the episode of Spongebob Squarepants entitled "Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost," an episode where Spongebob and Patrick accidentally melt a wax sculpture of Squidward, therefor thinking they killed him, there is a scene when Patrick and SpongeBob are carrying Squidward around in servitude to him, with Squidward complaining it is "too hot" or "too wet", they stumble onto an aquatic version of the painting La Troupe de Mlle. Eglantine. Squidward quips that it is "Too loose, Lautrec", a pun on the name of the painting's artist, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, with an accompanying sting.


I think it is hilarious that this was added to this episode, because unless you were in a class like this where you learned about Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec once in your life, you may never understand this quick joke.  I know that as a child i never understood the reference, and did not until just this year.  I also love that they added this in for any artists who were watching, for it shows that the people are thinking about all audiences when creating the episode.  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the info! For years I've been meaning to look up this exact scene to find out the meaning behind Squidwards comment. Somehow I always forget but my son was just watching this episode and I was on google so I ended up here. I appreciate the shows creativity on many levels and I greatly appreciate your post on the subject of this scene.

    ReplyDelete